Optical Fiber Fabrication Technician - Level 1
Reporting to the Production Manager, this full-time, permanent shift role is primarily responsible for the fabrication of preforms. Tasks include:
- Operating preform fabrication lathes;
- Following detailed product specification instructions;
- Handling chemicals under controlled conditions;
- Completing and maintaining logs, spreadsheets and databases as indicated in work instructions;
- Strict adherence to health and safety guidelines and rules.
In addition, the successful applicant would be trained to operate the drawing tower including coating changes and set-ups for all fiber types which are released as ‘production-ready’, when cover is required.
To be considered for this position, we are looking for someone with a good basic education including 5 GCSEs (or equivalent), grade C and above, to include Maths and Science. You will also need to be able to understand written and verbal instructions in English, and be computer literate, familiar with Microsoft Office applications.
Working as part of a small team, this role will suit you if you enjoy ‘hands on’ work and are detail conscious. You will need to be able to work to a high degree of accuracy, have manual dexterity and the ability to maintain concentration over long periods of time. As this job may involve climbing up and down the draw tower’s 20m of steps multiple times a day, the successful applicant will need to be physically fit enough to operate the tower and be willing to work under a minimum amount of supervision, often alone. Previous experience and first aid training would be advantageous.
If you are interested in being considered for this role, please send your CV and a covering letter to: HR@fibercore.com
Application deadline: Monday 3rd April 2017
Senior Process Control Engineer
Based at Fibercore House and reporting to the Chief Technology Officer, this full time hands-on role is responsible for driving Continuous Improvement, developing and refining existing processes and the introduction of new technology aimed at improving yield, process control, capability, waste and quality.
As a key part of R&D, and working with other members of the Development and Production teams responsibilities will include:
- Improving the reliability and control on all our optical fiber manufacturing processes from beginning to end, including measurements;
- Identifying yield and efficiency improvements by reducing costs and minimising bottlenecks, including maximising the use of automation and digitalisation and analysing of the various process parameters;
- Advising on equipment modification to enable process changes and improvement for both existing, and new products, including software and hardware equipment engineering;
- Identifying possible changes or improvements to raw materials, components and / or process parameters to ensure quality is continuously improved and disruption to production kept to a minimum;
- Reading and writing technical reports and specifications;
- Ensuring all process documentation is clear, accurate, sufficient and up-to-date;
- Initiating, designing and implementing new ideas in collaboration with both the R&D and Production teams.
To be considered for this role you will need to have a good university honours degree, or higher, in chemistry or engineering with a minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in advanced process control, including programming skills and the ability to use commercial software/firmware to design Human Machine Interface and Data Acquisition systems. Experience in the field of optical fiber manufacturing is a significant plus.
Similarly you will need to have strong analytical and problem-solving skills including a proven record of process control and SPC. Given the importance of implementing changes and new ideas, organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills to be able to influence and motivate people effectively will be a key attribute.
Interested? If so, please apply with a CV and a covering letter to: HR@fibercore.com
Application deadline: Monday 3rd April 2017
We look forward to hearing from
Regrettably we are not registered with UK Visas and Immigration to employ anyone without an automatic right to work in the UK.
To access more information please register
- I would like to subscribe to the Fibercore eNewsletter
How can we help you?